Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Teach The Children Well

On Monday, at the invitation of one of their teachers, I was allowed to speak at the New York City Lab School. I was invited to be a guest speaker about New Orleans, one of my favorite topics. These kids were very smart and most of them well-prepared, asking really stellar questions. I entitled my presentation "New Orleans, Louisiana: The Survival of a Major American City & The Importance of Culture." We discussed the geography, history and unique culture of New Orleans and then went in to Hurricane Katrina, the aftermath and where things stand with a wide-ranging discussion about the future.

Normally I bore people for hours at bars talking about this - it was great to have a captive and interested audience.

Apparently it went really well, as I got a nice note from their teacher with some great reviews from the students:

"Thank you again so much for coming in to speak with the kids. They LOVE you!

Today when I was taking attendance, I asked who is missing today, and they said "Lee is missing." :) You really made a big impression on them.

Can the kids contact you via email, some of them have requested to keep in touch with you.

What was really special also is that the kids that came up to you afterwards are mostly special ed kids - you really hit on something. You have a gift Lee.."


They gave me a gift sweatshirt with the school's logo on it. I am going to wear it to New Orleans next week and take a bunch of pictures around town to send back to them... Great kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I take a picture in NOLA puking at the Rage show with a Hurricane in my hand?