Thursday, April 10, 2008

Breakfast with Kluge


Had breakfast with my former creative writing professor from Semester-at-Sea, the novelist P. F. Kluge. He was kind enough to take me to "Little Poland" for what I think was his third trip there so far this week. As I asked him on our walk to the restaurant, "You can tell me, it's just the two of us... Does it bother you you're not Polish?"

Great to see him, as always. Had a delightful, far-ranging chat over breakfast discussing his family's involvement in World War II, Semester-at-Sea reminiscences and the staying power of his most famous work "Eddie & The Cruisers." Here he does a little victory dance in our booth as he correctly named a mural painter faster than I could pull the information from the internet. Small victories for the elderly...

No comments: