Friday, December 19, 2008

Thoughts on the Absurd


It has been quite a year. Not just for me, obviously, but for all. Continued war, historic elections, and the complete implosion of our economic system. Heady stuff...

I am currently ensconced in the Library of the University Club, watching the snow swirl outside the windows, surrounded by history and working diligently remotely. Part of the appeal, other than the obvious grandeur, of working here in the Library is that I can't have my cell phone on and so can't be disturbed - this affords me much needed time to catch up on research, as my chosen industry moves quickly and I certainly have much to still learn.

While skimming through the latest issue of Forbes magazine I paused as usual at the final "Thoughts on the Business of Life" section, which is my favorite section as it is a list of quotes around a theme. This issue's theme was one of my favorites and so I thought I would share some of the quotes with all of you.

"Only exceptionally rational men can afford to be absurd." - Allan Goldfein

"People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization." - Agnes Repplier

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

"The deeper the experience of an absence of meaning - in other words, of absurdity - the more energetically meaning is sought." - Vaclav Havel

There is tremendous value in absurdity. I enjoy it, as do many of my closest friends. In fact, I find it necessary and try to encourage it in others (e.g., our Jazz Fest costume parties and other frequent appearances in costume). And my brother just reminded me of one of our favorite quotes, from the master himself: "It never got weird enough for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

And so, as we travel through truly absurd times I wish you and your families the best, brightest and most absurd joy for this holiday season.

(Also, if anyone is looking for a Christmas gift idea for me... Look no further...)

No comments: